Monday, September 18, 2006

Beard Science Trilogy Pt.3

About a week ago I realised that there were two ridiculous things happening in my life, both of which I should be embarrassed about. Firstly, I was growing a beard and secondly, I was writing about it in the public domain. This was indicative of a fundamental, albeit short-term boredom problem.

I was at work the other day, bored an scratching my face, when it dawned on me that not only was I indulging in a sport both painful and ugly, but I was gleefully documenting it as though it was in some way entertaining to anyone. Plus, as well as actively promoting my strawberry blonde heritage to everyone, it led me to a new and entirely unwanted milestone; grey.

Indeed, on the right side of my chin, just below my mouth, was confirmation of my ever-relinquishing youth. My wife spotted it first, and for days I tried to convince her it was an 'albino hair' until I spotted another, then another, then another. Added to black, brown, ginger and blond, grey was just too much - the beard had to go.

So it did. I took some photos on my phone, but the grainy quality and toplessness made them look a bit, well, creepy, so I deleted them. I couldn't, however, resist doing this, which I've posted as a kind of punishment to myself for being so moronic as to bother writing about having some facial hair for a couple of weeks. Is there nothing more interesting or noteworthy in my life? The photo's funny though, what?

This episode, as well as a conversation with my homie D Dawg in McDonalds, has prompted me to reconsider my presence on the blogsphere (I think that's what proper internet people call it) so I'm thinking I might shift my page elsewhere and go underground. Let's be honest, unless I'm living in the celebrity hyperreality nobody cares what I do or what I think. Maybe I'll apply for Big Brother next year.

You'll find a picture of me in all my bearded splendor here if you want. Initially I posted the picture on this page, but it was a bit weird seeing myself so I took it off. And so it ends.

No comments: